BUSINESS NEGOTIATION - The tactic known as the "NIBBLE".
You may not be familiar with the term, but when I describe
it you'll experience a shock of recognition. In this example, I'm going to
assume, for a case reference, that you're a man. But the same situation can
apply to a woman. Just mentally switch the frame of reference from that of a
men's clothing to that of a dress shop or boutique.
You enter an exclusive men's shop in the downtown area for
where you live, to but a suit. Someone important to you is getting married, you
are going for an interview, a presentation, etc and you want to look good.
Because men's lapel widths change from year to year, owing to planned
obsolescence, you're concerned about style. That's why you have a tape measure
in your pocket.
"May I help you?" asks a salesman.
"I think so…" you reply, frowning thoughtfully.
For three and half hours you shuffle from rack to rack and
from suit to suit, painstakingly measuring lapel, always trailed by the
salesman, who doesn't dare leave because you keep asking questions about
shoulder widths, pocket flaps, sleeve styles, cuffs and number of buttons. You
repeat over and over, "How long will this
particular suit stay in style?" When he offers his educated guess, you ask, "Are you sure?"
particular suit stay in style?" When he offers his educated guess, you ask, "Are you sure?"
After you've examined thirty-nine (39) suits and fingered
seventy-eight (78) lapels, and the now stony-faced salesman is ready to
"blow his cool," you say, "I think I'll take that Hickey-Freeman
for $370.00 - that one over there…the one with the subdued striped."
The salesman sighs with relief. Trying to remain calm, he
murmurs, "would you follow me, please?" He leads you into the small
mirrored room in the rear where the store's tailor does alterations. You remove
the suit you're wearing, slip into Hickey-Freeman you're about to purchase, and
stand on a special wooden box before a three-way mirror. Near you, while you
stand on the box, is the salesman, now somewhat relaxed as he writes up the
sales slip and calculates his commission.
Beneath you, at you teeter back and forth on the platform,
an elderly gentleman with a stooped back, pins in his mouth, and a tape measure
around his neck is on one knee. He removes five pins from his mouth and slides
them into the material. Moments later, he makes chalked X's on the seat of the
pants, then tugs in three inches at the crotch. As he does this, he mumbles in
an accent you can't identify,
"This is a beautiful suit. It hangs well on you." Wherever you go that old guy always has an accent. Maybe it's not an accent - just the pins in his mouth.
"This is a beautiful suit. It hangs well on you." Wherever you go that old guy always has an accent. Maybe it's not an accent - just the pins in his mouth.
At this juncture, you twist your head toward the salesman
and ask, matter-of-factly, "And what kind of tie will you be throwing in
free?"
The salesman stops writing. He looks at the old man on the
floor. The old man raises his head, not knowing whether to shove in another pin
and make another chalk mark. He releases your crotch. The whole thing swings
forward three inches.
That is what's known as the "nibble."
What goes on in the salesman's mind after the first wave of
hatred subsided? He grunts inwardly, "This blankety-blank has consumed
three and half hours of my time. I didn’t have a coffee break. I've strained
both shoulders putting thirty-nine jackets on his back. I've watched the nitwit
measure seventy-eight lapels. All right; that's down the drain. What have I got
here? What can I assemble from the wreckage? A $370.00 sale, from which I'll
get $60.00 commission. For the sake of the $60.00, I suppose I can take
$7.00 from my pocket and buy this clown
a tie wholesale. I just hope I never see him again!"
Will you get the tie? Of course. Will you win the love and
admiration of the salesman? That's something else again. He will give you a
free tie because of his emotional involvement in the situation, not because of
his affection for you.
Would the nibble have worked if he hadn't invested an
inordinate amount of time? No. The success of a nibble is in direct proportion
to the amount of time invested. No time invested, no dice. That's why you
should always induce the other side to invest in a situation. And that's why
your initial approach to a negotiation should always be collaborative, as
though you're hungry for help.
Remember to JOIN the site and SUBSCRIBE for more.
